ST. PETER'S CEMETERY
St. Peter's Cemetery is located in Lithgow, NY.
St. Peter’s Cemetery is located near the church on the northwest corner of the Shunpike and Route 44 in Lithgow, New York.
David Johnston, of Lithgow, donated land for the cemetery in 1806 and burials began shortly thereafter. The oldest surviving marker dates back to 1811. The cemetery has expanded over the years due to generous donations of additional land and it is now approximately six acres in size.
Many locally important individuals from Lithgow and Millbrook have been buried there. Among those buried in the cemetery are forty-nine military veterans, the earliest of whom served in the American Revolutionary War. The cemetery provides an important genealogical, social and biographical record of the hamlet of Lithgow and of the broader community. You need not be a member of St. Peter's to be buried in the cemetery.
St. Peter’s Church holds a Memorial Day service in the cemetery each year at the end of May on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
This special service is always well attended. Residents of the Millbrook community and visitors join with the congregation of St. Peter’s parishioners to commemorate those who have died in a service that stirs the hearts and souls of many.